On 2019-06-20, Maxim Bourmistrov <m...@alumni.chalmers.se> wrote:
> What is seen in 'top' is what compile does to the sys. snmpd just freacks
> out, and the rest as well.
> This is VMWare. Storage below is VSAN.
> bgpd streches 4 arms - to fw1 and 3 remote VPS. No big deal here. Private
> stuff, no massive peering. No peering at all, except mentioned.

ok. (fwiw for whatever reason I don't see very good disk io performance
in OpenBSD under VMware so that probably isn't helping matters here).

> Compile sucks out all rss

That doesn't match the top output you showed. Relinking (not recompiling,
there is no automatic recompiling) is running but you have over a gig free
ram. But the kernel is spinning massively (lock contention?). Maybe you'll
find it works better if you reduce the number of cpus.

>                           and I don't think this is OK to have this machine
> in line, handling traffic.

So don't then, run services on carp addresses, set carpdemote in
hostname.if, and at the end of rc.local background something that waits
for reorder_kernel to finish before promoting again. Or move reorder_kernel
up in /etc/rc (above starting pkg daemons, perhaps) and don't background it.
Or disable relinking and run it manually when you run sysupgrade and
it finds a kernel patch. There are lots of options of things you can try.