Frank Beuth writes:
> That's the interesting thing in my case (at least)... the system *IS* already
> extant!

And how have you introduced it to your command-and-control system? That
is, ultimately, the key.

> It has a nice shiny new Ubuntu/Debian/Fedora/centOS install that has just
> been
> imaged onto it using the hosting provider's default tooling, and SSH is
> already
> configured. (without blindly saying "yes" to the unexpected-fingerprint
> prompt)

That is what these tools depend on, but how is such a state of "already
configured" achieved before the tool that does the configuration gets
involved? This is why these are not the right tool for the job.

> Normally in this situation one would just use Ansible to harden the default
> Linux install and configure whatever applications are needed. But in this
> case
> I feel like hardening the Linux install even more, by replacing it with
> OpenBSD
> :)

If you're hardening a system you've already lost. Systems should be hard
by default.

> Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like if this problem were well-solved then it
> would make easier to use OpenBSD in many more applications and situations.

It's not well-solved because nobody tries to solve it. Installing
systems in the first instance is assumed to be a manual process and no
further thought is applied because you've got your clonable image, right?

Actually that's not entirely true but I've yet to find a *portable* solution.

> I'd love to see your tool.

Oooh sir!

> PXE is mostly not available for this case (in
> general I am trying to target the most generic possible situation).

PXE is only applicable in situations where the network can be guaranteed
to be trusted; you're letting your DHCP server give you unverifiable
code to execute and if you can't trust the network you can't trust the
DHCP response.

I wrote stash so that I could deploy my own servers without trust being
an issue. It got as far as that and I (temporarily; I'll get back to it)
lost interest. Nobody is paying me for this, I'm just bored. The
documentation is ... poor. But it works. In my little network there are
currently 6 distinct servers, all built using it with zero manual
interaction.

https://github.com/chohag/stash

Enjoy.

Happy to answer questions (I need some critical feedback). I plan to make
more out of this but for the time being it's little more than a toy.

Matthew