On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 03:22:16PM -0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> On 2019-07-13, "Jonathan Drews" <easyfashioncloth...@gmx.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks:  I need some recommendations on what brand of printers will
> > work
> > with Ghostscript (Postscript). The cartridges for my 15 year old HP
> > Deskjet have gotten too expensive. I know Xerox makes some
> > Postscript printers. Are there any other manufactureres of Postscript
> > printers?
>
> Your question is confused and self-contradictory.
>
> A "Postscript printer" processes Postscript itself.
>
> By contrast, Ghostscript is used to process Postscript on the host
> computer and send the raster data to a dumb printer that cannot
> handle Postscript by itself.
>
> So which type of printer are you asking about?
>
> --
> Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de

Thanks Christian:

 I am not familiar with Postsript printers. Thanks for correcting
me. I want something that will work with Ghostscript and not
depend on Printer Command Language (PCL). There are two reasons
for this:

The printcap is easy to configure. Here is a sample printcap I
came across in misc:
1)
lp|xerox|Xerox_WorkCenter_3225:\
    :lp=/dev/ulpt0:\
    :sh:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
    :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

2)
 I read that Postscript printers produce superior graphics (from
Xerox website):

Pros:

Graphical objects are often more detailed.
The same print file should print identically on two or more
different print devices. (This most beneficial when used for
printing drafts on one printer then sending out to a printing
company for production.)

Cons:

Print processing can be slow.
Not found in as many platforms as PCL.
Print file and memory requirements are larger.