On Sat, 13 Jul 2019, Jonathan Drews wrote:

I hope that you got it: with a postscript printer you do not need
ghostscript.

The printcap is easy to configure. Here is a sample printcap I
came across in misc:
1)
lp|xerox|Xerox_WorkCenter_3225:\
   :lp=/dev/ulpt0:\
   :sh:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
   :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

For a printer using ghostscript you will need one field more. I
have for my PCL printer:

lp|lj4l:\
        :lp=/dev/ulpt0:\
        :if=/usr/local/libexec/lpr/iflj4l:\
        :sh:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

my file iflj4l contains a filter that translates Postcript to PCL
for the lj4l printer. Well, it does in my case something more.
This filter is normaly a script that calls gs (Ghostcript).

You can see here how to write the script:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/printing-lpd.html

Or just google for a specific printer: you are not the only one with
the problem.

You do not need cups.

Rodrigo.