On 2019-08-28 07:47, Raul Miller wrote:
I would fix the issue, or use something else to get that done or
abandon that project.

(I am not sure why you would imagine that using OpenBSD implies not
using other operating systems. It's *because* I use other operating
systems that I like using OpenBSD.)

Thanks,

So many good points brought up.

Along with all that has been mentioned, I use OpenBSD because there are no surprises when you install a service. The service is not started until you start it. Even if it started inadvertently, the config will have 'sane' defaults and not get you breached.

My OpenBSD start:
I was running Untangle (based on Debian Linux) back in 2009 while looking for a PC-based router of some sort. I read Dru Lavigne's 'BSD Hacks' and found some things that I wanted my router to do using OpenBSD that Linux couldn't do (at least without recompiling the kernel). After that I was onto OpenBSD 4.6 with some early 'bump in the wire' devices in front of my Linux firewalls. I also read Michael W. Lucas OpenBSD books - lots of info.

Then around 2010 I started using only OpenBSD as my firewall. I studied and built the pf rules up (thanks Peter N.M. Hansteen) so that I had confidence in placing OpenBSD on the open Internet as my only protection.

These days I use only OpenBSD for all my server builds. This includes router/firewall (pf), http webserver (in base), and OpenVPN servers. If there is anything I place on the open Internet - it is an OpenBSD build. No other.

Truthfully, you'll never know how good OpenBSD is until you try it. That's what I did.

Thank you.

Zann (at zonbie-dot-net)