On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 03:14:22PM +0200, Marc Espie wrote:
> [...]
| > |
| > | We actually know what file belongs to which set.
| > | see /usr/lib/locate/src.db
| >
| > This doesn't list files from x-sets.
|
| ... there's obviously the corresponding database for x in xbase, duh

Right.  Wasn't aware of that one, but doesn't really make it easier:

So, if /usr/lib/locate/src.db exists, we can see if the files that it
knows about can be found on the local filesystem and then per set pick
a file to check for existence.  And if /usr/X11R6/lib/locate/xorg.db
exists, we can do the same for the x-sets.

What if I chose to only install xfont, to use the TTF fonts with my
webserver?  Then I don't have the xorg.db locate database but would
still have a working system, but now you're not upgrading xfont?

The "file to set"-mapping isn't very convenient to determine which sets
were installed and have to be upgraded.  Having each set contain one
small (empty?) file in a known location would make this trivial at a
very small cost.

But I repeat: the argument that not installing all sets gives you a
'non standard' system suggests that this approach isn't viable.

Cheers,

Paul

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/