On Thu, 14 Nov 2019, Jan Betlach wrote:

Should I byte the bullet and build the NAS on FreeBSD taking advantage of ZFS, snapshots, replications, etc? Or is this an overkill?

I built my "NAS" with FreeBSD due to the self healing properties of
ZFS with checksums and redundant data, and due to the fact that
ZFS became more or less a standard that run in many OS and will not
be forgotten from one day to other.

But I am unhappy with ZFS, it is too heavy and complicated for my
purpose, do not pass to the unix environement, and my use is for less
than NAS, "only" for archival purposes. But I do not see at the
moment a simple alternative that fulfill my expectations.

Rodrigo