On 15/11/2019 04:45, Raymond, David wrote:
I have done similar things on Linux for years and am now doing them on
OpenBSD.  Sounds like what you want to do can be done with a simple
rsync script.  OpenBSD ffs (ufs) should be stable, it has been around
for decades in various incarnations.  I have never noticed bit rot in
this system, though I imagine it could happen if a disk is gradually
going bad.

Please correct me if I'm wrong because I don't want to spread incorrect information.

A couple of months ago I read a couple of reports of filesystem corruption on OpenBSD. I didn't have time to investigate deeply and I don't know if these issues were even real. Even if they were real I don't know if the problem was due to user error or a defect in the OS.

Does anybody know anything about this?

That's why multiple backups help.

Agreed.  See below.

You might want to set
up a raid5 backup, as this detects parity errors.  More complicated
though.

This is exactly the kind of reason that hybrid volume management systems + filesystems such as Btrfs and ZFS have become popular.

I do not know anything about OpenBSD's LVM.

One weakness in such as system (ask me how I know!) is that
if the NAS goes gradually bad, the errors will propagate to the
backup.  Using rsync without the --delete option most of the time
alleviates this somewhat.  Only run with --delete when the backup
starts getting full and you are confident that your NAS drive is ok.

This is an excellent reason for implementing a system that includes not only backups, but long term storage /archives/ too.

Andrew
--
OpenPGP key: EB28 0338 28B7 19DA DAB0  B193 D21D 996E 883B E5B9