On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 15:48:00 +0000 (UTC)
b...@0x1bi.net wrote:

> I verified the output of rcctl and inetd is running.
>
> Ben Raskin.

Hi Ben,

Here's what I did on my Void Linux computer to get talk working:

* Configured xinetd to work
* Make sure xinetd has an entry for talk[1]
* As my normal user, (slitt), ssh slitt@192.168.100.2
* Started talkd
* From inside that ssh session, talk root@192.168.100.2
* At that point I receive "waiting for your party to reply"
* I go to a root terminal, and it's asking me to reply. I reply, but
  using the IP address, not my hostname.
* At that point, the two can talk at their convenience.

Notice on the command line, I used the IP address, not the hostname.
Notice that what was in hostname really didn't matter. I couldn't
change /etc/hostname to fqdn because it busted a bunch of other stuff,
and I'm not good enough at nsd/unbound to get "mydesk" point to
192.168.100.2. Didn't matter, I used the IP address on the command line.

[1]: /etc/xinetd.d/talk below:
=======================================
service ntalk
{
        flags                   = REUSE
        socket_type             = dgram
        wait                    = yes
        user                    = root
        server                  = /usr/bin/talkd
        log_on_failure          += USERID
        disable                 = no
}

SteveT

Steve Litt
February 2020 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive