I'd start by using OpenBSD as a desktop to download and build the source itself.
There's the wonderful release(8) that leaves you with install media too.
Then you have the source tree inside a human friendly environment that
you have proven "got work done".
Privsep is *all through* OpenBSD stuff, it's just a matter of finding
what you're interested in.