Namaste Pekka,

> Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 9:11 PM
> From: "Edgar Pettijohn" <ed...@pettijohn-web.com>
> To: "Pekka Niiranen" <pekka.niira...@pp5.inet.fi>
> Cc: misc@openbsd.org
> Subject: Re: UNIX crash course
>
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 09:17:50PM +0300, Pekka Niiranen wrote:
> > Hello Sirs,
> >
> > That is very comprehensive list of books, but I have
> > not found any concise example of "OpenBSD development environment".
> > There are KNF settings for vim and emacs in github but not much more.
> >
> > OpenBSD is in constant flux so I would like to know which
> > of its various services controlled by rcctl would be
> > the best starting point for analyzing how code a minimal server
> > in OpenBSD 2020 including pledge and prilege separation methods.
> > Which of the current services is "the present state of the art" for
> > a starting point?
> >

> The source code would be the best place to look. I know I've learned a
> lot reading the code and manual pages. Not knowing your skill level, but
> I often start with usr.sbin/identd/identd.c as a good skeleton.
>
> Edgar

Caveat: Unfortunately, I can only read code. As such, I do not have any
experience writing any daemon or code.

In addition to the aforementioned advice, one may want to look at the
following two repositories:

https://github.com/krwesterback/newd
Skeleton OpenBSD daemon - three process, priv separated

https://github.com/krwesterback/newdctl
Skeleton control program for OpenBSD daemon

The last commits on these might seem slightly old, so in case there is
an authoritative/updated location of these sources, please feel free to
share that.

> > -pekka-

Dhanyavaad,
ab