On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 09:12:08PM -0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2020-06-17, Marc Espie <es...@nerim.net> wrote:
> > The only way you end up with broken installations is when porters don't do
> > their jobs, that is they fail to bump a shared library or something like
> > that.
>
> They do still break in some cases:
>
> libA depends on libB
> someapp depends on libA, libB
>
> libB has a major bump. libA gets updated but someapp is missed
> due to a mirror with an incomplete update. Now someapp wants old libB,
> but libA wants new libB, resulting in breakage.

Ouchie... that  one I can't do much about. :(

> (There are also situations where some installed packages are broken
> for part of a pkg_add -u run, though they do sort themselves out later -
> I forget the details but I think it was something to do with the timing
> of ldconfig runs, updates to things like glib2/pango often do this).

ldconfig is run just before actually exec'ing anything that might depend on it.

Have you run into the problem lately ?
I think it's mostly gone with @tags, since it delays running most things until
the end of pkg_add -u, so that things  have actually settled down.