Hi Ottavio,

Ottavio Caruso wrote on Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 02:28:25PM +0100:
> On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 at 13:44, Ingo Schwarze <schwa...@usta.de> wrote:
>> Martin wrote on Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 11:11:34AM +0000:

>>> After system update I found lots of 'old' libraries versions
>>> and possibly binaries from previous releases.
>>>
>>> Does anybody know an automated method to remove it after update?
>>> For instance previous libs before update to -current.

>> If you need to ask, just don't remove them.  Those files eat no bread,
>> and in some situations, some of the libs may still be in use.

> What about if one compiles ports? If OpenBSD is anything similar to
> NetBSD, on the latter having multiple libs might cause build
> breakages.

I don't remember ever hearing about anything like that on OpenBSD,
even though i do occasionally compile ports and i always have various
versions of various libraries lying around, both from base and from
ports.  (Given that i am not a very frequent porter, there might be
problems of the more unusual kind that i never heard about, but it's
certainly not something you need to worry about in general.)

If widespread problems caused by old files existed, the readily
available tool to delete old files would probably be advertised
more broadly and maybe even recommended for use.  But as things
are, you can merely use it if you know what you are doing and if
you want to, but at your own risk.  Less experienced users are more
likely to cause themselves trouble trying to use it than to get any
benefit from it.

And no, do not assume that OpenBSD is "like NetBSD" or "like FreeBSD".
They are different operating systems.  Yes, they do have common
ancestors, but the genetic lines diverged about 25 million years
ago.  Err, something like that, IIRC.

Yours,
  Ingo