On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 03:44:18PM -0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
On 2020-07-14, Christian Weisgerber <na...@mips.inka.de> wrote:
Old versions of libraries are innocuous.  They will simply be
ignored.

Until you run out of disk space, which is fairly easy in /usr if you
installed a couple of releases ago and took the auto disklabel defaults.

Another issue with potential security implications: suppose you have
built something that linked to old library versions laying around on
disk.  And suppose a security issue affects one of the old libs,
with implications for your binaries linked to it.  You won't even be
aware of it.

My take is to purge old libs after every new release.  Once, I had to do
it in the middle of a version upgrade, because there was no space left
on disk to complete it.  My fault only, I had a very tight custom
partitioning layout.