The same sort of thing happened to me with me PCI cards, but it was another edge case. I had two identical 2-port NIC's representing em0-em3. The card with em0 and em1 died and brought the syste down with a kernel panic. Upon rebooting the card that had been em2 and em3 was now em0 and em1. The server could have still functioned on half the ports but now the configuration was wrong for the surviving ports so the server was unreachable.

This would likely happen on most OS's so the real moral of the story is don't use multiple, identical NIC's in your systems. There are probably other good reasons why this is a bad idea anyways.

And Theo's hint was spot on. I'm experimenting with arm64 on an RPI 4. Stability is not one of my expectations. This is the normally standby half of the fw pair of my home network. Even if it bursts into flames, it will still be a learning experience.