On Wed, Jan 06, 2021 at 03:53:53PM +0000, tech-lists wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install openbsd 6.8 on a raspberry pi 4/8GB. The files I need
> to add to the msdos partition are, in total, too
> large to fit (the partition is only 4MB)
>
> Is there some method of increasing the msdos partition size
> of the miniroot.fs image? I'd be doing this from either a freebsd
> or linux desktop. On freebsd, I can virtualise the image with mdconfig. Or
> is there some other way round this, like re-writing the image.

I've been testing openbsd on a raspberry pi 4 8GB, on the sd card.

I use only openbsd, but you can virtualize it with qemu to format and copy the
partitions.

This is my experience:

* Download the current miniroot.fs (I've used only current).

* Create a vnode disk with vnconfig(8) of the miniroot image to mount its
partitions.

* Format the sd card with fdisk, using mbr partitions:
  +8M  fat.
  rest for openbsd.

* Disklabel the sd card and create the file systems.

* Copy the content of the miniroot partitions to the sd card.

* Copy the content of the uefi firmware to the fat partition of the sd card:
   https://github.com/pftf/RPi4/releases

* Boot the rpi, press Esc to enter the uefi menu.
  Disable the RAM limit.
  Set acpi+dtb.

* At the installer prompt, set the tty to the framebuffer:
  set tty fb0

* Install OpenBSD like any other arm board.

I suggest to use a mfs disk for tmp, the performance of iridium is enormously
improved.

I've problems with some applications been killed randomly. At first I thought
that
the limits on login.conf were responsible, but it doesn't look like that. If
I found the problem I'll post it.

Regards,
adr.