On Thu, Jan 07, 2021 at 09:55:28AM -0700, Theo de Raadt wrote:
tech-lists <tech-li...@zyxst.net> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 06, 2021 at 09:25:01AM -0700, Theo de Raadt wrote:
>The miniroot is 33MB because it contains many install firmwares, and
>it is 97% full.
>
>I suggest you find another way of installing.

Is there a technical (or some other reason I'm not seeing) why miniroot68.fs
has been made as small as it is, and not some other size like 48MB, which
would allow the msdos partition to be made larger?

Why 48MB?  Why not 2GB?  Why not make miniroot68.img be 2GB for download
to satisfy some bizzare usage pattern?

All media are created to be small, no larger than they need to be.

OK I get it. The install requires an additional USB storage device. What I wanted to do was to write latest firmwares from https://github.com/pftf/RPi4 as described in OpenBSD/6.8/arm64/INSTALL.arm64
into the (mdconfig-mounted) msdos partition of miniroot68.img prior to writing
it to the sdcard, as I didn't have an additional USB storage device.

The latest firmwares (v1.22) unzip to 5.4MB but the msdos partition is only
4.0MB.

thanks,
--
J.