tech-lists <tech-li...@zyxst.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 07, 2021 at 09:55:28AM -0700, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> >tech-lists <tech-li...@zyxst.net> wrote:

> >> Is there a technical (or some other reason I'm not seeing) why
> >> miniroot68.fs
> >> has been made as small as it is, and not some other size like 48MB, which
> >> would allow the msdos partition to be made larger?
> >
> >Why 48MB?  Why not 2GB?  Why not make miniroot68.img be 2GB for download
> >to satisfy some bizzare usage pattern?
> >
> >All media are created to be small, no larger than they need to be.
>
> OK I get it. The install requires an additional USB storage device.
>
> What I wanted to do was to write latest firmwares from
> https://github.com/pftf/RPi4 as described in
> OpenBSD/6.8/arm64/INSTALL.arm64
> into the (mdconfig-mounted) msdos partition of miniroot68.img prior to writing
> it to the sdcard, as I didn't have an additional USB storage device.

Modifying the miniroot is not a stock usage case.

I firmly believe that INSTALL.arm64 text *should not exist*.  Such
special cases increase the messiness of using OpenBSD.

> The latest firmwares (v1.22) unzip to 5.4MB but the msdos partition is only
> 4.0MB.

The firmware should be updated in the tree, and instructions encouraging
people to do weird stuff should not exist.

That is my take on this.