On 2022-04-20 21:25:49, Ryan Kavanagh wrote:
On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 08:39:09PM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:
sysclean lists 4180 files and directories on my home server

Could you please elaborate how sysclean is going to help me to keep my
openbsd hosts clean? How is the usage model of this tool?

Here's what I do:

1) List all of the directories or files I want sysclean to ignore in
/etc/sysclean.ignore (format is documented in sysclean(8)).

Got that.

2) Run "sysclean" to list all files that are obsolete.

Check.

3) Manually review the output. If it contains files that are not
obsolete, goto 1.

Too many files to be a practical approach. If I would know each
and every file to keep or to throw away, then I don't need sysclean.
Not to mention that an important file or directory for the current
release might become obsolete in a future release. Maintaining
sysclean.ignore is unsustainable. You have to start from scratch
with each release for each host running OpenBSD. Thats a lot of
error-prone work.

4) Delete the files / directories listed in sysclean's output.

Won't do.

Regards

Harri