Harald Dunkel <ha...@afaics.de> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I think the main problem is pretty easy to describe: OpenBSD loses track
> about what it had installed and cannot clean up its own files on a system
> upgrade.

No, that is incorrect.

Users are capable of creating linking against older lib*.so.* files.
Such binaries could be anywhere on-disk, and we should not walk the entire
disk to find them.  Therefore such old libraries should NEVER be deleted.

It isn't that track as been lost.  The linker isn't going to create a log
file about what lib* files have been used at compile time.

New OpenBSD snapshots come with new libraries, because we crank
major.minor for incompatible changes, and there are some who think they
can delete the old libraries.

Such old libraries should NEVER be deleted.

sysclean wasn't designed to delete these libraries, but these libraries
are the biggest win as far as diskspace, so the selection algorithm
started hoovering them up, and it seems semarie doesn't want to walk
back "OK, I can clean _other things_ but I must leave the libaries alone".

Because then I guess then sysclean doesn't feel like such a winning
proposition at all...