On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 02:20:15PM +0100, FTP wrote:
> but isn't a way to route and translate connections via a existing static IP
> address?  To have 'internal' IPs acting as static in their own right?
> How do ISPs 'create' their own static IPs?

Gee - we are talking about a huge area of topics here:

First, ISP<->ISP traffic is handled way differently compared to
MyLittleComputer<->ISP traffic (read up on the IP-protocol,
PI-networks, BGP, OSPF, etc.)

Second, you can always use NAT to translate your internal IP addresses
and ports to different ports (under a single address) on you router,
but that is probably what you already have and not what you want.

Third, if you live in a house with a single address, you cannot
publicly start announcing different addresses without the postal
service knowing about it. If packets should arrive at your home, then
you better make sure you write your street and number on the
announcement, other things just won't work.

Last but not least: _if_ your ADSL provider will assign and route
multiple addresses to your router (for example a complete C network),
then you can - of course - translate the different numbers into
different numbers in your internal network. But then: why you are not
using these IPs for your internal network directly?

Bernd