On Fri, Oct 28, 2022 at 12:30:11PM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> Kalabic S, <kala...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > To be more precise, I wanted to say sticking with FreeBSD means
> > sticking with whatever behavior VMware will keep consistent and
> > support in the future. For "Others" option I don't think they care and
> > is more probable to vary.
>
> I cannot tell the difference.  I think you are completely unqualified
> to know what "they will not change" fakery vmware is doing with the MSR's
> and clock related registers... it is actually possible that when they
> *know* it is one particular operating system they do something sophisticated
> to fool that one specific operating system, whereas when they don't know
> what the operating system is, they reduce the amount of trickery.
>
> You don't know.  I don't know.  None of us know.
>
> But can you please stop making claims you can't back.

I think it's reasonable to try and claim that whatever we are, we are the
closest to "that thing". Meaning, the OP said we should claim we are FreeBSD
64 bit or 32 bit or whatever. Fine, but let's spend some time to actually
figure out *what* we should say we are before we just pick something randomly
because "it fixed my machine". Maybe we should say we're Windows? Maybe we
should say we're Linux? My point, and I think Theo's as well, is we don't
know and just randomly taking a diff because it fixes one scenario on one
version of ESXi is shortsighted.

So I would ask the OP to:

 - try different OS choices
 - on different versions of ESX
 - on different versions of VMware fusion
 - on different versions of VMware workstation
 - on different versions of OpenBSD VMs
 - on different archs (i386/amd64) of OpenBSD VMs

... and then report back what the findings are.

-ml