On Thu, Jan 05, 2023 at 05:13:05AM +0000, Nathan Carruth wrote:
> Perhaps I should have clarified my use case. I have data which
> is potentially legally privileged and which I also cannot afford
> to lose. Thus an unencrypted backup is out of the question, and
> my first thought was to use full-disk encryption for the backup.

For this particular use-case, you can just pipe tar through the openssl
command line utility and write the backup to removable media either directly
or as a file on a non-encrypted filesystem.

I wrote in detail about this method in an article about doing encrypted
backups to blu-ray disc:

https://research.exoticsilicon.com/articles/crystal_does_optical