On 1/20/23, Hrvoje Popovski <hrv...@srce.hr> wrote:
> On 20.1.2023. 20:09, patrick keshishian wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying get a new ISP setup working.  The Router is
>> causing some pain.  There is a /28 public block assigned.
>> The DSL router can't be configured in transparent bridge
>> mode (they say).  It holds on to one of the /28 addresses.
>>
>> The setup looks something like this:
>> (and hopefully the ascii "art" remains intact from gmail)
>>
>>    ( internet )
>>         | [WAN IP]
>>   +-----o------+
>>  / DSL ROUTER / <-- Transparent bridge mode NOT possible
>> +-----o------+
>>       | [ one of /28 Public IPs = $dslgw_ip ]
>>       | $ext
>> +-----o------+
>> |            |
>> | OpenBSD/pf o--- ( rest of /28 Public IP network )
>> |            | $dmz      (DMZ: httpd, smtpd, ...)
>> +-----o------+
>>  $lan | [10.x.x.1]
>> ( 10.x.x.x network )
>>

>> As far as networking goes, I need to be spoken to as if I'm
>> a fledgling.
>>
>> I want to do the obvious: use OpenBSD/pf(4) to:
>>  - Filter traffic from $ext to $dmz
>>  - Filter traffic from $dmz outbound
>>  - Filter traffic from $lan (10.x.x.x) to $dmz
>>  - NAT traffic from $lan (10.x.x.x) outbound to internet
>>

>> I'm bridge(4)-ing $ext and $dmz.  Which means I must give
>> one of the /28 public IP addresses to either $ext or $dmz
>> to be able to do:
>>
>> # route add default $dslgw_ip
>>
>> (!?)
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>> Is there a better way to configure things?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --patrick
>>

> Hi,
>
> If your ext interface is in same subnet as that /28 from your ISP then
> you could:
>
> - use veb(4) to bridge ext, dmz and vport(4) interface and add default
> route to dslgw_ip. vport is ip interface for veb

I started out looking at veb(4) but I wasn't confident
how I could filter traffic in/out of $dmz.  Also, the
description of vport(4) which states "packets traversing
vport interfaces appear to travel in the opposite direction
to packets travelling over other ports" confused me even
more.  So I started using bridge(4).

> - or on ext interface put ip alias with ip addresses from /28 public
> range and than do binat-to or nat-to in pf to hosts in dmz
>
> or maybe i totally misunderstood you  :)

I think you understood me fine. I'm just not too familiar
with how networking actually works.

Thanks,
--patrick