I don't understand - if you configure your system to not have working
DNS resolution, then you will not have working DNS resolution.
fw_update needs working DNS resolution, so yeah .. if you break the
latter, you break the former.

Don't break DNS resolution.  You really get what you pay for.

Having said all that...

If you really want to go without DNS resolution, I invite you to
travel back a few decades and learn about /etc/hosts.  Maybe you can
FTP a hosts file from somewhere, for that true historic experience ..
but alternatively you can also

echo 2a02:898:28:500::3 firmware.openbsd.org | doas tee -a /etc/hosts

Good luck with that.

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

NB: full disclosure, the IP address I gave is the firmware mirror
hosted by me; I didn't want to point people to someone else's .. but I
also kinda hope noone (else) is foolish enough to break their DNS
resolution in such a way to need this kind of tomfoolery.

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/