On Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 06:03:42PM +0000, Mike Larkin wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 13, 2023 at 06:27:20PM +0200, Peter J. Philipp wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was wondering two things currently, both having to do with QEMU on
> > OpenBSD.
> >
> > I noticed in my QEMU that is running OpenBSD that it is supporting the
> > H-extension.  The H is hypervisor.  Does this mean that there is support
> > emulated for hypervisor host and guest in QEMU?  Also is there any efforts
> > implement this where I can be an observer?
>
> I believe they have some support for that.
>
> There is no hardware currently available that has it though, from what I know.
> There is an FPGA core you can implement on a suitably large dev board though,
> but you'd be a 1-off.
>
> When you say "implement this", what do you mean?

Oh I didn't know there was no hardware support for this yet.  What I meant
for implementing this was if there is anyone porting vmm to riscv64.  I guess
arm64 needs it too but riscv64 to me is the ultimate :-).

I was wondering Mike, do you offer any more workgroups like the one that
ported riscv64?  I know someone on IRC who lives in the Los Angeles region of
California that might be interested in such a workgroup.  Though he may
not be available until 2024/2025 for something such as this, but the interest
would be there.  I told him an effort to port vmm to riscv64 would be a
worthwhile endeavour, for everyone.  Obviously it depends on hardware support
and someone to guide the group.

> > I saw somewhere that newer QEMU support RV128 cpu emulation.  While this
> > is something for 20 years from now perhaps, I'm still curious if anyone is
> > considering a port to the RV128, or is at least turned on by the thought of
> > it.
>
> no
>
> > Unfortunately I believe the RV128 isn't intended for an 128 bit address
> > space
> > but has something planned for partitioning it in half so it will be 64 bit
> > space.  With the other 64 bit for something security related.
> >
> > Also I'd like to say that I have my first piece of RV64 hardware for a few
> > weeks now and it can run linux ubuntu.  It's a Mango Pi which is the same
> > form factor as a RPI zero.  I also donated one to a developer so perhaps
> > we'll
> > see OpenBSD running on it one day.  In half a dozen weeks or so I'm
> > considering
> > getting my second RV64 computer, which will be somewhat of a visionfive
> > 2-like
> > SBC for a router.  Not sure which yet, though, let's see who can deliver in
> > October.
> >
> > Next year I'd like to invest into a larger RV64 computer for workstation. As
> > you can see I'm starting to get a bit serious around Risc-V
>
> get a milk-v pioneer then, it's the biggest you can currently buy.

Interesting.  Thanks!

Best Regards,
-peter

--
Over thirty years experience on Unix-like Operating Systems starting with QNX.