On Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 06:44:48AM +0200, Peter J. Philipp wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 06:03:42PM +0000, Mike Larkin wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 13, 2023 at 06:27:20PM +0200, Peter J. Philipp wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I was wondering two things currently, both having to do with QEMU on
> > > OpenBSD.
> > >
> > > I noticed in my QEMU that is running OpenBSD that it is supporting the
> > > H-extension.  The H is hypervisor.  Does this mean that there is support
> > > emulated for hypervisor host and guest in QEMU?  Also is there any
> > > efforts to
> > > implement this where I can be an observer?
> >
> > I believe they have some support for that.
> >
> > There is no hardware currently available that has it though, from what I
> > know.
> > There is an FPGA core you can implement on a suitably large dev board
> > though,
> > but you'd be a 1-off.
> >
> > When you say "implement this", what do you mean?
>
> Oh I didn't know there was no hardware support for this yet.  What I meant
> for implementing this was if there is anyone porting vmm to riscv64.  I guess
> arm64 needs it too but riscv64 to me is the ultimate :-).

arm64 is first but the separation work was done already. There are about two
dozen functions that need to be implemented in the kernel, plus a bunch of
work in vmd.

> I was wondering Mike, do you offer any more workgroups like the one that
> ported riscv64?  I know someone on IRC who lives in the Los Angeles region of

It wasn't a workgroup. It was a group of four full time students working on
their master's degrees as a final project. It took six months, more or less,
and at that time we barely could print hello world from userland. It was another
6-12 months after that before it was stable, thanks to many other developers.

> California that might be interested in such a workgroup.  Though he may
> not be available until 2024/2025 for something such as this, but the interest
> would be there.  I told him an effort to port vmm to riscv64 would be a
> worthwhile endeavour, for everyone.  Obviously it depends on hardware support
> and someone to guide the group.

I'm prioritizing arm64 at this point, there isn't much value in porting vmm to
hardware that is way too slow to matter (and I am unsure if such hardware even
exists). powerpc64 is another choice, it has virtualization support, as do some
octeons. We have real hardware for those, too.

That said, if a diff appeared on tech@, I'd certainly take a look at it.