Joel Carnat <j...@carnat.net> wrote:

> > Le 26 oct. 2023 à 16:38, Ingo Schwarze <schwa...@usta.de> a écrit :
> >
> > The advice is extremely simple:
> >
> > If you can, donate directly to the OpenBSD project because that means
> > 1. the donation can be used for any purpose, including all purposes
> >    that can be funded by the foundation and some that can't
> > 2. it causes less overhead, less paperwork, less bookkeeping effort,
> >    hence fewer distractions of developers from actual development
> >
> > Use the Foundation only if *you* have a specific reason why your
> > specific donation can only be made through the Foundation and not
> > directly.  If you don't know, then it seems to me you have no specific
> > reason, so donating directly is better.
> >
> > Yours,
> >  Ingo
>
> Maybe it should be written this way on the donations.html page of the web
> site. Having the reference to "PayPal recurring" for the Fondation coming
> first made me assume this was the preferred way to donate.
>
> But if I understand you properly, using the other PayPal links should rather
> be used, right?

Sorry Ingo, that's incorrect.

In my view it is better to donate via the OpenBSD Foundation, and then
use their not-for-profit procedures.

The direct donations can be considered 'fast cash'.  I'm thrilled there
is a bit of fast cash available so I can immediately solve some problems
with urgency -- without reaching out to the OpenBSD Foundation and
waiting for their approval process.  But for most things (hackathons,
hardware, other major project costs) I believe the transparency they
supply is a good thing.