Mike Larkin <mlar...@nested.page> writes:

> On Sun, Dec 10, 2023 at 01:03:27PM -0600, Robert B. Carleton wrote:
>> I have a number virtual machines, and I've noticed that they power off
>> instead of rebooting when using "shutdown -r now" on the guest. This is
>> the general form for a configuration in the /etc/vm.conf:
>>
>> vm "batch2" {
>>         memory 2G
>>         enable
>>         cdrom /home/ISO/OpenBSD/7.4/install74.iso
>>         disk /home/vm/batch2/disk0.qcow2
>>         boot device disk
>>         interface { switch "int_switch" }
>>         interface { switch "ext_switch" }
>> }
>>

> I've not heard of anyone else having reboot vs shutdown issues recently.
> I just did a shutdown -r now on my local machine and it works here:
>
> --------
> -vmmtech- /var/www/logs# shutdown -r now
> Shutdown NOW!
> shutdown: [pid 95485]
>
> *** FINAL System shutdown message from root ***
> System going down IMMEDIATELY
>

> -vmmtech- /var/www/logs#
> System shutdown time has arrived
>
> -vmmtech- /var/www/logs# syncing disks... done
> vmmci0: powerdown
> rebooting...
>

> Using drive 0, partition 3.
> probing: pc0 com0 mem[638K 3838M 256M a20=on]
> disk: hd0+
>>> OpenBSD/amd64 BOOT 3.65
> \
> com0: 115200 baud
> switching console to com0
>>> OpenBSD/amd64 BOOT 3.65
> boot>
> ---------
>
>> I also tried running vmd from the command line with "-d -vv". Here's the
>> end of the logging when I tried to reboot the guest:
>>
>> vm/batch2: vcpu_exit_eptviolation: fault already handled
>> vm/batch2: vcpu_exit_eptviolation: fault already handled
>> vm/batch2: vcpu_exit_eptviolation: fault already handled
>> vm/batch2: vmmci_ack: vm 7 requested shutdown
>> vm/batch2: virtio_shutdown: waiting on device pid 35337
>> vm/batch2: virtio_dispatch_dev: pipe dead (EV_READ)
>> vm/batch2: virtio_shutdown: device for pid 35337 is stopped
>> vm/batch2: virtio_shutdown: waiting on device pid 64912
>> vm/batch2: virtio_shutdown: device for pid 64912 is stopped
>> vm/batch2: virtio_shutdown: waiting on device pid 34607
>> vm/batch2: virtio_shutdown: device for pid 34607 is stopped
>> vmm: vmm_sighdlr: handling signal 20
>> vmm: vmm_sighdlr: terminated vm batch2 (id 1)
>> vmm: vm_remove: vmm vmm_sighdlr removing vm 1 from running config
>> vmm: vm_stop: vmm vmm_sighdlr stopping vm 1
>> vmd: vm_stop: vmd vmd_dispatch_vmm stopping vm 1
>>
>> The three "vcpu_exit_eptviolation: fault already handled" lines seemed
>> to happen continuously during run time for the guest.
>
> harmless
>

>> Is there some kind of configuration that I'm missing? I read the vmctl,
>> and vm.conf man pages. I also looked at the examples in
>> /etc/examples. Nothing stood out, so far.

> [...]

The guests are amd64. Here's a transcript, including a pause to allow
the boot reordering to finish:

=== start transcript ===
athena$ doas vmctl start batch2
vmctl: started vm 1 successfully, tty /dev/ttyp2
athena$ doas vmctl console batch2
Connected to /dev/ttyp2 (speed 115200)

OpenBSD/amd64 (batch2.rbcarleton.net) (tty00)

login: root
Password:
Last login: Sun Dec 10 14:58:05 on tty00
OpenBSD 7.4 (GENERIC) #2: Fri Dec  8 15:38:40 MST 2023

Welcome to OpenBSD: The proactively secure Unix-like operating system.

Please use the sendbug(1) utility to report bugs in the system.
Before reporting a bug, please try to reproduce it with the latest
version of the code.  With bug reports, please try to ensure that
enough information to reproduce the problem is enclosed, and if a
known fix for it exists, include that as well.

You have mail.
batch2# shutdown -r now
Shutdown NOW!
shutdown: [pid 47954]

*** FINAL System shutdown message from r...@batch2.rbcarleton.net ***
System going down IMMEDIATELY

batch2#
System shutdown time has arrived

batch2# syncing disks... done
vmmci0: powerdown
rebooting...

[EOT]
athena$
=== end transcript ===

A note I'll add is that I don't recall getting the EOT at the end of the
transcript
until I hit the enter key.