On 2023-12-12, Steve Litt <sl...@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> I've been told by some that OpenBSD has no hardware-assisted VMs, and

That has been wrong since around 2012 when ldomd was added (on sparc64).
On amd64, vmm(4) was added in ~2015.

(_qemu_ on OpenBSD does not have hw virtualisation support, but that is
not the only way to do VMs).

> others that it does. Without hardware assisted VMs, a very slow
> software emulator is required making the guest seem like it's on a 14.4
> modem.
>
> So my question is, does vmm have hardware assist?

vmm(4) provides kernel support for hardware virtualisation on x86.
That is used (and required) by vmd(8).