"Lorenz (xha)" <m...@xha.li> writes:

On Mon, Jan 01, 2024 at 08:47:07PM +1100, Alexis wrote:

"Lorenz (xha)" <m...@xha.li> writes:

> just out of couriosity, why is "as" in the base system if it > is
> outdated and is updating it an option?

i presume it's due to subsequent versions being licensed under later versions of the GPL, but i'd be happy to be corrected on this point.

i couldn't find any discussions on why the later versions are not
acceptable in the base system. are there any?

There's a discussion about GPL software in base at https://www.openbsd.org/policy.html, although it doesn't mention GPL versions:

The GNU Public License and licenses modeled on it impose the restriction that source code must be distributed or made available for all works that are derivatives of the GNU copyrighted code.

While this may superficially look like a noble strategy, it is a condition that is typically unacceptable for commercial use of software. So in practice, it usually ends up hindering free sharing and reuse of code and ideas rather than encouraging it. As a consequence, no additional software bound by the GPL terms will be considered for inclusion into the OpenBSD base system.

For historical reasons, the OpenBSD base system still includes the following GPL-licensed components: the GNU compiler collection (GCC) with supporting binutils and libraries, GNU CVS, GNU texinfo, the mkhybrid file system creation tool, and the readline library. Replacement by equivalent, more freely licensed tools is a long-term desideratum.

But, again, someone else will have to describe what's happening with 'as' specifically; i'm not an OpenBSD dev myself. My speculation about the GPL version potentially being involved comes from Apple not including versions of software whose license had been changed from GPL2 to GPL3 (such that e.g. versions of macOS prior to Catalina only included GNU Emacs 22).

Alexis.