On Sat, Jan 13, 2024 at 10:03:20AM +0100, Christian Gut wrote:

> > On 13. Jan 2024, at 00:58, Theo de Raadt <dera...@cvs.openbsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > I suspect this is due to how powerpc64 and octeon boot.  Their bootblocks
> > are
> > a special kernel called BOOT which mounts the ffs filesystem diretly.  I
> > suspect
> > during the transition to loading GENERIC.MP something wrong happens with the
> > on-disk time information, which misleads the next kernel.
>
> Any thing I could do my self or provide information to improve that?
> I think I have one other of these machines where it seems to behave
> differently.
>
> That special kernel resides on a fat32 partition, as far as I know. Maybe I
> would need to “touch” or update that filesystem on shutdown? I did try to
> mount, change and unmount it. But I had no luck.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Christian

I would start adding printfs to the ffs_mountroot(), inittodr() and
ffs_unmount() functions to show what arguments they receive, what
timestamp they read or write and what decicisons they make. Building
and running the new boot kernel and then the regular kernel then might
give a more concrete clue on what's going on.

        -Otto