On 2024-03-28, Karel Lucas <cahlu...@planet.nl> wrote:

> Op 28-03-2024 om 07:51 schreef Stuart Henderson:
>> For the console, use /etc/ttys.
>>
>> For an X terminal, use whatever mechanism is correct for that terminal
>> (.Xdefaults XTerm*termName for xterm).
>
> The file /etc/ttys is 22.5kB in size and is full of all kinds of "tty**
> ...". I don't think this is the right file to use something like that.
> It seems to me that you are making the system disrupted/unstable by
> doing so. Those "ttys**..." won't vouch for it for nothing.

Yes that is exactly the right file. That is what the file is *for*. It
sets the console type for various ways of accessing consoles on the
system. The "console" and "ttyC*" lines are the ones you want (the
additional ones are for various virtual consoles on ctrl-alt-f2, etc).
(The "tty0*" are for serial consoles if you have them.)