"Peter N. M. Hansteen" <pe...@bsdly.net> writes:

Here's the story of my asking it to write a PF.conf - https://nxdomain.no/~peter/chatgpt_writes_pf.conf.html or with nicer formatting and trackers https://bsdly.blogspot.com/2023/06/i-asked-chatgpt-to-write-pfconf-to-spec.html

so in this context, near totally useless, likely due to insufficient volume of actually useful configurations in the data it was trained on.

Yes, i was thinking that might be one reason ChatGPT is, mm, 'not great', in terms of OpenBSD content. Another reason might be that, since only the two most recent OpenBSD releases are supported, there can be changes in the base system which result in e.g. tutorials becoming out-of-date more quickly. Which is, of course, why the first port of call should always be the man pages and the FAQ. :-)

Still, even on topics where there's ample information available, 'AI' can get it very wrong, as in the case of an AI-generated article on CNET about compound interest: https://gizmodo.com/cnet-ai-chatgpt-news-robot-1849996151

But hey, it doesn't really matter whether factual information is or isn't available: just make up data! "ChatGPT Created a Fake Dataset With Skewed Results - Findings raise concerns about the ease of generating false medical evidence", https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/features/107247

Finally, there's a paper relevant to many OpenBSD user's interests: "Do Users Write More Insecure Code with AI Assistants?", https://arxiv.org/abs/2211.03622.

Overall, we find that participants who had access to an AI assistant based on OpenAI's codex-davinci-002 model wrote significantly less secure code than those without access. Additionally, participants with access to an AI assistant were more likely to believe they wrote secure code than those without access to the AI assistant. Furthermore, we find that participants who trusted the AI less and engaged more with the language and format of their prompts (e.g. re-phrasing, adjusting temperature) provided code with fewer security vulnerabilities.

Alexis.