> That seems... unusual. Do you have an (old) IDE compatibility option turned
> on in
> the BIOS? I would have expected it to attach via AHCI:
> sd0 at scsibus1 targ 2 lun 0: <ATA, Samsung SSD 860, RVT0 naa.5002538e304456ac

No, it does not. I think they are using a pci to SATA "bridge" to
avoid running in AHCI SATA mode. It is one of the many hardware
gimmicks that are not so documented.
Even the BIOS has Normal and Legacy options for SATA Operations, but i
think this has nothing to do with AHCI. Dell BIOS options for AHCI are
something like RAID/SATA, RAID/IDE, etc.