a bit late, but fwiw -
I have 7.5 on an optiplex 990 on SSD, no issues.  Not quite a 980, but I
honestly doubt that this matters given my experience on these boxes.  (I also
have 7.5 on a 960, and have had it on a 955 and 945.  There’s nothing special
about the Dells that I have and booting MBR with SSD.)   AHCI vs IDE shouldnt
matter for booting (but IDE is slower), but if you had the ports in RAID mode
it might.

# dmesg|egrep 'OpenBSD|Opti|INTEL'
OpenBSD 7.5 (GENERIC.MP) #82: Wed Mar 20 15:48:40 MDT 2024
bios0: Dell Inc. OptiPlex 990
sd0 at scsibus1 targ 0 lun 0: <ATA, INTEL SSDSC2BB16, D201> naa.55cd2e404b451004