> FWIW, my current desktop which is a Dell OptiPlex 745 is booting off an SSD.
>
> joji@surya$ dmesg | grep -iE "optiplex|Samsung"
> bios0: Dell Inc. OptiPlex 745
> wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB>
>

> joji@surya$ uname -a
> OpenBSD surya 7.5 GENERIC.MP#82 amd64
>
> Don't know if your OptiPlex 980 is newer than mine.

I find it strange that this isn't working, but I have tried just going for a
standard OpenBSD install and also tested a standard FreeBSD install on two
different SSDs - ignoring my original softraid setup, but no matter what I do,
it just will not boot with either BSDs on either of those disks on this machine.

I have tried placing each disk in each different SATA plug, also just to
eliminate an issue with a specific SATA port, but it's the same result, no
matter what port is set to boot from.

I wiped the disks, installed Devuan Linux with GRUB on the same pair of disks,
just to test, and it boots fine from either disk.

So, for the moment I have given up running OpenBSD on SSDs on this box.