Thomas Frohwein <tfrohw...@fastmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 25, 2024 at 12:06:39PM +0000, Ali Farzanrad wrote:
> > Ali Farzanrad <ali_farzan...@riseup.net> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > I have another problem here.  My USB keyboard works great in BOOTX64.EFI
> > > but will not work on kernel config.
> > >
> > > I created /etc/bsd.re-config file and rebooted my system twice to
> > > disable azalia and then checked if it is disabled using config(8) and
> > > dmesg(8).
> > >
> > > Even when azalia is disabled my system gets sudden reboots.
> > > First sudden reboot was just after playing a music; but next 2 reboots
> > > was happened without playing anything.

> > I tested again with my patch.  When azalia is disabled, it suddenly
> > reboots after few minutes, without playing anything.  When azalia is
> > enabled, it lives.
> >

> This looks to me like you are chasing down a new rabbit hole every time
> I open one of your emails. I'd suggest you take a step back from all
> the stuff you seem to be trying without having a firm grasp on how to
> observe or report reproducibility. Have you tried out sthen@'s advice
> to check old kernels + snapshots[1]? I may have missed your response to
> this. You wrote that you rarely got the issue prior 17-May-2024? If
> that *is correct*, then you should be able to bisect using the snapshot
> archive around what date things change.

Actually I see some kind of sudden reboots for such a long time (maybe
since the time I have this mini pc) which happen almost certainly on
every boot after a long shutdown!

It is funny that my Windows 11 don't get those reboots; so I usually
use Windows for an hour, then reboot to OpenBSD without facing those
sudden reboots.

Anyway, I tested this snapshot for few days:
https://ftp.hostserver.de/archive/2024-05-20-0105

I only get sudden reboots after a long shutdown (for example boot after
3 hours off); however using the next snapshot:
https://ftp.hostserver.de/archive/2024-05-21-0105

I saw this other kind of sudden reboots which might happen after every
boot/reboot (not just after a long shutdown).

> I am highlighting *is correct* above because your issue seems to be
> unpredictable enough that a few minutes of testing don't mean anything.
> I suggest you try to find a *clear difference*, meaning between a
> snapshot where no reboot happens for ideally a whole day of use, and
> the next one where it clearly happens very quickly (and reproducible
> at least a second or third time).

I couldn't find a snapshot without any sudden reboot at all.

> Your reports also make me wonder how much customization you are
> running. You've mentioned at least compiling custom kernels and
> setting bsd.re-config. It's easy to find yourself in virtually
> unsolvable scenarios by configuring too much. It might be best to try
> a clean install, ideally without activating xenodm/X11.

The bsd.re-config file was just for disabling azalia.
I have FDE using softraid level C without swap and /tmp mounted as mfs.
I don't think that I configured too much.

Anyway, I also tested those snapshots on a clean install on a single
partition outside softraid and again without swap (I don't like swap);
I see similar results.

I also disabled xenodm/X11 and see my OpenBSD lived for more than an
hour, then I started xenodm and it suddenly rebooted in less than 3
minutes.

I didn't test OpenBSD without xenodm/X11 much, because I need them;
that's why I disabled amdgpu and placed it in my bsd.re-config file.
Since then (~3 days) I see no single sudden reboot at all (not even
after a long shutdown).

I'm currenly on latest snapshot with amdgpu disabled.

Alexandre Ratchov <a...@caoua.org> wrote:
> On Sat, May 25, 2024 at 09:13:56AM +0000, Ali Farzanrad wrote:
> >
> > Even when azalia is disabled my system gets sudden reboots.
> > First sudden reboot was just after playing a music; but next 2 reboots
> > was happened without playing anything.
> >

> This suggests the reboots are not directly caused by the azalia's msi
> vs old-style interrupts.
>
> I'd suggest that you find and old enough snapshot (or release) that
> used to work reliably on this machine and make sure it still works
> reliably with the old software version. Not just an hour, use it few
> days for real work.

As I said above, I couldn't find such reliable snapshot.  I only get
reliably using disabled amdgpu, or (I didn't test this much) disabled
xenodm/X11.

> This would confirm that the hardware is still OK.

I used my Windows 11 a lot and never seen any sudden reboot in Windows
at all; so I think maybe it is not a hardware issue, but amdgpu issue.

> Take few quick notes
> of what devices are involved, how the machine is used, etc. Save the
> dmesg.

Most of the time I never do anything at all.  Simple xterm terminal with
tmux and pkg_add / pkg_check or similar tools.

I included my dmesg in my first email:
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=171646059328579&w=2

> If this isn't a hardware problem, then grab a new snapshot and try to
> understand what changed, compare the dmesg, compare the usage pattern
> etc. Possibly start bissecting the kernel until you find the change
> that causes the reboots.

The most reliable test that I found, is to shutdown my pc for a while
then boot and run xenodm/X11.  Unfortunately I need my pc, so I only could
do such tests once / twice a day.