Am 2024-07-11 05:25, schrieb ropers:

Dear Ian

What vi(1) displays there are (the hex equivalents of) UTF-8 code units. Whenever old vi(1) Can't Even, it will barf hex, but treat each hex-barf byte as a separate character, even when--as here--the two bytes are but one
character. Dunning-Kruger applies: Old vi(1) is ignorant of UTF-8
multi-byte characters and unaware of it.

In case you are not familiar with the difference between code points and
code units, and how to convert from the former to the latter (and vice
versa), Graham Douglas has you covered. This page is an excellent resource
and might help you wrap your head around that:
http://www.readytext.co.uk/?p=1284

Thanky you very much for your explanations and the link. Much
appreciated!

If there's something like an open mike at
EuroBSDcon, and IFF they let me in without signing over my firstborn,
perhaps that might be a good place to raise such an issue anyway?

And, by the way, your writing style is a pleasure to read :)

They were all just the chars in some 256-character charset. However,
you're prolly not in Kansas, and they're not identical in most
Unicode formats anymore.

Sorry, but I don't understand the meaning of "However, you're
[probably] not in Kansas".

Best regards

Rolf