On Jul 17 09:59:01, mwg...@btinternet.com wrote:
> HI All,
>
> I'm trying to resolve a trivial, but annoying problem with using
> Evolution mail on my OpenBSD setup. The style of date used in the list
> of mail in my inbox is in US format, i.e month first, day second, and I
> want it is UK format, day first, then month.

Does Evolution itself have a knob for that?

> I know how to fix this in
> FreeBSD by  including LANG=en_GB.UTF-8 etc in a number of text files.
> However on OpenBSD, this hasn't worked in exactly the same way.

So what happened on OpenBSD, after defining LANG?
(Note that LANG is a fallback if any of the LC_* are unset.)

As you probably know, the base system ignores the locale
except for the character encoding (LC_CTYPE);
that is not the case for packages though.

> As an aside, I was getting a similar problem with Libreoffice defaulting to
> USA dictionaries, but that has been fixed and is picking up its locale
> properly from one of the text files I amended.
>
> text files where i have the correct variable is :
>
> .bashrc
> .bash_profile
> .xinitrc
> .xsession
> .profile

If by "the correct variable" you mean LANG=en_GB.UTF-8,
then it sets all the _unset_ LC vars for you.
Can you pinpoint it to which of the LC vars specificaly
is the one that alters Evolution's behaviour (if any)?

> /etc/login.conf - yes I did run cap_mkdb.

What exactly have ypu put in there?

> when I issue the locale command from the terminal, it shows all the
> correct en_GB.UTF-8 variables. So everything looks OK, but i'm
> obviously missing something.  So if there is another text file to amend
> I would apprecate any suggestion.

I would consult Evolutuon's documentation first.
Wouldn't a mail client have a knob for the date format?

Jan