Thanks a lot to you 3 for your thoughts.

RAID1 on the overlapping capacity: I don't like that idea much because RAID1
has an extra cost where any modification on disk1 will be performed on disk2. I
want to reap the benefits of having disk1 for the OS and disk2 for data. That
makes the overall system much faster, because each drive is ddicated to 1 task,
and each task is independent.

@Crystal, thanks a lot for all the details.

I am not planning to share the home drive, because indeed I feared the extra
complications. the extra partition m is beyond the OS partitions.

Your point regarding no guarantee for the system to boot to disk 2 is well
taken. It makes me question if it's worth doing at all. Do yo uhave a sense if
there is a large enough probability of disk1 failing catastrophically enough
for the UEFI to directly boot to disk2, rather than being in a bad state on
disk1?

Thanks!