Hi all,

Same main question as in the last thread I posted to, but without any of the distractions. Can a pair of redundant firewalls be used with arpbalance without being affected by the "state race"?

I'm using a configuration pretty much identical to the following article:

* http://www.samag.com/documents/s=9658/sam0505e/

Ryan McBride seems to indicate a similar configuration at:

* http://www.countersiege.com/doc/pfsync-carp/#big

And yet another example of an apparently working setup:

* http://screamingelectron.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1571

On the other hand, the only info I've been able to that says it doesn't work (and states essentially the same problem that I'm having) is the following FreeBSD post:

* http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-pf@freebsd.org/msg01022.html

As for official documentation, there is nothing that difinitively states either way. pfsync(4) states "if it is preferable that one firewall handle the traffic..." which implies that more than one firewall can handle the traffic.

So what's the deal?

--
Jason Stubbs