On 3/30/06, Deanna Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Qwerty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Would it be fair to say that a Systems Administrator and a
> >Network Administrator are no longer two seperate entities but
> >have become one and the same. Don't the two dabble more and
> >more into each other's business.
>
> I'd say certainly not; in fact the trend seems to be in the
> opposite direction.  I've worked for quite a few big companies
> in the USA and the most disturbing trend I've seen is the
> compartmentalization of operations into discrete groups that
> rarely communicate and are often at odds with one another.
>
> The most annoying of these, to me, is the "security team."  As
> if security hasn't always been one of the system administrator's
> core functions.

Certainly, but it really depends on how security-aware those sysadmins
are.  Here, a security team is necessary to lay the LART upon the
heads of those ubiquitous non-IT engineers who have been given
sysadmin powers and who haven't a clue about security.  It means when
I discover a gaping hole in someone's project I don't have to waste my
time wielding the LART.

Greg