One of them administer systems (might have a hundred of *NIX - and
other
servers to look after), the other one administers the network (and
might have
a few hundred network devices, like routers, firewalls, etc.).  They
might not
even see each other for months!  Can you see the difference?

Ioan

"Qwerty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Would it be fair to say that a Systems Administrator and a
>Network Administrator are no longer two seperate entities but
>have become one and the same. Don't the two dabble more and
>more into each other's business.

I'd say certainly not; in fact the trend seems to be in the
opposite direction.  I've worked for quite a few big companies
in the USA and the most disturbing trend I've seen is the
compartmentalization of operations into discrete groups that
rarely communicate and are often at odds with one another.

The most annoying of these, to me, is the "security team."  As
if security hasn't always been one of the system administrator's
core functions.

I even wrote a bit of a rant about it, for my company's blog,
just last night.  I have a feeling it won't be approved for
posting. ;)

http://deanna.freeshell.org/blog.txt if you're interested.

Sorry for the OT.

--