After nummerous advices on the list that I should upgrade, I decided to try remote upgrading.

At the folowing step:

Reboot on the new kernel: This might be a tempting step to skip, but it should be done now, as usually, the new kernel will run old userland apps (such as the soon to be important reboot!), but often a new userland will NOT work on the old kernel.

something went wrong. I issued a reboot. And when the system came back up, SSH didn't recognize any of my passwords. All the services seem to be running though. I even have unchrooted access through FTP. I'm in wheel group but have no access as root with FTP. Already checked ftpusers, but root is hashed (yes, I know this is wrong). Either I forgot the password, or something has changed.

Any hints? Did I do something wrong? Is there a fix? Or do I have to travel 400 km?

Regards,
Jasper