On 5/18/06, Martin Toft <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

xmms on my computer freezes temporarily when doing disk-intensive tasks,
e.g. examining the ID3-tags of a long playlist. It is not a serious
problem, it just annoys me that my OpenBSD installation apparently does
not perform as well as my friend's Debian GNU/Linux installation, which
does not suffer from the problem. It _is_ a matter of honor :)

Any help is appreciated, but my primary objective is to find out whether
I am the only person experiencing this problem.

I run OpenBSD 3.9-release on an IBM Thinkpad T41 laptop with all file
sets except bsd.mp. The relevant, installed packages are:

esound-0.2.34p0
libao-0.8.5p2
libid3tag-0.15.1bp0
libmad-0.15.1bp1
xmms-1.2.10p6

I have tried increasing the buffer size and pre-buffer percent in
Preferences -> Audio I/O Plugins -> MPEG Layer 1/2/3 Player 1.2.10
[libmpg123.so} -> Configure -> Streaming to as high as 4096 kb and 50%.
It did not help. However, maybe these values only affect streaming (over
networks).

Don't know if it's related, probably not, but on my IBM T20 with
3.8-stable if I start up xmms from a URL in Firefox it freezes at the
end of anywhere from the first link I click on to the 4th or 5th one.
For example, if I'm previewing songs at emusic.com the first song clip
will play through, but then by the 2nd or 3rd clip xmms will be locked
up and not responding.  I have to kill -9 it to continue.  I've been
meaning to troubleshoot but have had zero time.  xmms works fine on
mp3s from my harddrive.

Greg