On 2006/06/08 14:33, Toni Mueller wrote:
> I am also just now shopping for a good PCMCIA (or CardBus) card for
> building an accesspoint and/or a router supporting wireless LAN and
> perused www.openbsd.org/i386.html which imho lists a lot of cards, only
> to find out that most if not all of them don't seem to be available
> anymore here in Germany - at least our supplier claims so.

There are a limited number of PCMCIA/CardBus cards with external
antennas (which you're likely to want for an AP), so you might be
limited to B with the prism-based Senao/Engenius cards - wi(4) -
they're reliable in hostap mode (as long as they are running
supported firmware; see `man wi'). They seem to be quite widely
available; Wim sells them, amongst others.

If you want 11g hostap on OpenBSD, currently you need a
Ralink device. Afaik if you want a decent antenna, this means
PCI/MiniPCI (or possibly some of the USB devices).

> It would be very nice if someone had a list of good current cards...

Manufacturers change chipsets so often that maintaining this
would be a major undertaking. If you want something that works
you need to research, try cards, and when you find one
that's good, buy any more you need before the manufacturer
has chance to change design. Or buy from someone who already
did this.