--- "Spruell, Darren-Perot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[snip]
> Please support your statement that documentation falls under export
> regulations. Documentation and specifications != hardware.
[snip]

WARNING: NEWBIE ALERT, NEWBIE COMMENTS FOLLOW.

I have no dog in this fight but it only took me three minutes to
find "The Bureau of Industry and Security, U.S. Department of
Commerce:"

   What Is an Export?

   Any item that is sent from the United States to a foreign
   destination is an export. "Items" include commodities,
   software or technology, such as clothing, building materials,
   circuit boards, automotive parts, blue prints, design plans,
   retail software packages and technical information.
                                      ^

Interesting --------------------------+

   How an item is transported outside of the United States does
   not matter in determining export license requirements. For
   example, an item can be sent by regular mail or hand-carried
   on an airplane. A set of schematics can be sent via facsimile
   to a foreign destination, software can be uploaded to or
   downloaded from an Internet site, or technology can be
   transmitted via e-mail or during a telephone conversation.
   Regardless of the method used for the transfer, the transaction
   is considered an export for export control purposes.

   An item is also considered an export even if it is leaving the
   United States temporarily, if it is leaving the United State
   but is not for sale, (e.g. a gift) or if it is going to a
   wholly-owned U.S. subsidiary in a foreign country.

Do data sheets qualify as "technical information" for purposes
of exporting?  Beats the hell out of me.  I'm sure there is
U.S. case law somewhere that spells it out.

We can't disagree on interpreting the facts if we can't agree
on the facts.

Kind Reagrds,

Allen
http://mail.yahoo.com