Hi all,

Well, I emailed the list earlier with another problem, but that has
been completely supplanted by this new one.

I work for a small department within a larger organization, and we
have a fair amount of lattitude - we run our own servers and whatnot.
We had a special exception under organization-wide rules which
explicitly forbid running a firewall and switch on the network.
Apparently, after some personnel changes, that exception was lost, and
rather than contact us, the port that our firewall server is connected
to was unceremoniously shut off without any prior warning.  After
going through phone tag with IT, the port has now been turned back on,
but I am having a huge problem - I cannot connect to the firewall
server via SSH anymore, nor can I connect out from the server to
anything else.  Curiously enough, however, firewall rules are still
working correctly.

If I run ifconfig on either of the network adapters, I get the following:

dc0: flags: 8943 <UP, BROADCAST, RUNNING, PROMISE,  SIMPLEX, MULTICAST> mtu 1500
address [MAC address here]
media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)
status: active
inet6: [inet6 address]

dc1 looks more or less the same, only different MAC and inet6 addresses.

/etc/hostname.dc0 and .dc1 both just contain "up" and haven't been
modified since 2003.

Shouldn't there be an inet entry with the IP addresses for each of the
cards listed?  What happened to them?

I'm sorry if I'm leaving anything out and not asking this in the right
place, but I am in minor panic mode at the moment.

Thanks,

Matt