On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 07:39:16PM +0200, Falk Husemann wrote:
> Hi again!
> I'll be buying four SATA disks, three for a RAID5 using RAIDframe and
> one as spare (put in my closet). It'll run via two SATA controllers.
> I'll stick with the cheapo stuff, as  Stuart suggested and add some
> 2gig memory to the box too.

Do note that a failing controller will take down the box, if you are
unlucky; if Murphy smiles on you today, it will also fry both disks.

Of course, this from the guy who uses a RAID based on IDE. And yes, the
IDE bus *does* get really confused if something is wrong with one disk,
as I can add from personal experience...

> Karsten, I'm a student, I won't need no hw raid.

Frankly, I'm a student too, but quite jealous that you get to play with
actual hardware.

> Someone sent mail to me offlist, here's what he said:
> "PLEASE know that RAID5 is not a BACKUP solution!
> PLEASE backup to REMOVABLE and RELIABLE storage!"
>
> I bet he's right ;-)

He is. Do note, though, that the altroot mechanism (described in
afterboot(8), and probably elsewhere; see /etc/daily) provides a little
more protection against administrator error than straight RAID.

                Joachim